The prices are the same as last year’s Pixel 3 and 3 XL at launch.
Beginning today, you can pre-order a Pixel 4 for $799 and Pixel 4 XL for $899, and phones will ship on October 24, globally. Pixel 4 comes in three colors, including Clearly White, Just Black, and a limited edition, Oh So Orange.
The Pixel 4 features are listed here.
In Canada, the Pixel 4 costs CDN$999 with 64GB, and $1,129 for the 128GB model. The Pixel 4 XL costs CDN$1,129 for the 64GB model and $1,259 with 128GB.
In Canada, if you order the Pixel 4 by the end of the day October 26, you are eligible for $150 to spend at the Google Store.
Google Canada Blog » Everything Announced at Made By Google Event
In Canada, beginning today, you can pre-order a Pixel 4 for $999 and Pixel 4 XL for $1129 on the Google Store, and at all major Canadian carriers and select retailers. Phones will ship by October 24, globally. Pixel 4 comes in three colours, including Clearly White, Just Black, and a limited edition, Oh So Orange.
In Canada, Pixelbook Go is available for preorder today and will be on sale later this month at the Google Store, Best Buy Canada and select retailers. Pixelbook Go will be available starting at $879 in Just Black, with Not Pink coming to Canada soon.
- The Google Pixel 4 flagships come in two sizes »
- 5.7-inch for the Pixel 4 and 6.3-inch for the Pixel 4 XL
- The screen has a 90Hz display. This makes it look a lot smoother, but uses more battery.
- New AMOLED display
- New Google Assistant features (US only – why restrict it to the US?)
- Real-time voice transcription (link)
- There are two lenses on the back, within a square housing » a wide-angle and a telephoto.
- Software improvements for the camera’s Night Sight, Portrait mode, Super Res Zoom, and new Astrophotography mode, plus dual exposure controls. Unfortunately, there is still no smartphone camera with full manual mode.
- Face unlock, and no fingerprint sensor, with gesture support which adds understanding of hand waves and actions.
- Only 64GB of storage in base models. +US$100 for additional 64GB, which is more than even Apple charges for the upgrade
- Pixel 4 has one of the smallest batteries on any current flagship at 2,800mAh.
- That’s less than the Pixel 3 which has a 2,900mAh battery.
- No 3.5mm headphone jack
- No full-resolution photo storage in Google Photos for Pixel 4 – Now compressed photo storage
- Pricing starts at CDN$999/US$799/£669/€749 for the 64GB Pixel 4, while the 64GB Pixel 4 XL starts at CDN$1,129/US$899/£829/ €899, on sale now and shipping around October 24.
- In the US, the Pixel 4 is US$100 more expensive than the iPhone 11 (US$699) « That’s going to hurt US sales
- In Canada, the Pixel 4 is only CDN$20 more expensive than the iPhone 11 (CDN$979). « That makes me love Apple even less. A Canadian could purchase an iPhone 11 in the US for CDN$930 (at current exchange rates).
If you must have a Pixel 4, my recommendation would be for a 128GB Pixel 4 XL, which will be at a steep CDN$1,259/US$999. And at that price, The Pixel 4 will have competition with the iPhones and Samsung Galaxies that dominate the US. In other parts of the world, similar spec phones are half the price.
If you can wait till the spring of 2020, there will probably be a Pixel 4a that will not have the expensive radar chip. The Pixel 4 cannot be sold in India because of this chip, which makes a strong case for a lower spec phone for this large market.
Learn more about the Pixelbook Go on The Keyword.
Wired » Here’s Everything Google Announced Today (paywall)